Mariana Sampaio, LMHC, MSW
Life is a huge adventure and I work with people so they can make the best out of theirs. I believe every person is unique and deserving of the best that life has to offer. Therefore, my approach to counseling is to tailor to my client’s background and needs.
My private practice is focused on teens and adults with a history of trauma, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, life transitions and adjustment challenges. I provide services in individual and group settings in English, Spanish, or Portuguese.
I am a certified Cognitive Behavioral Therapist who also works with DBT informed care, RO-DBT, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Motivational Interviewing, among other Evidence Based Treatment modalities in order to best fit the needs of each client. Mindfulness practice is a huge part of my life, as well as my professional work.
Originally from Brazil, I lived in Hawaii for several years until I moved to Seattle in 2013. Even with a busy work schedule, I still take the time for self-care by diving, surfing, practicing Yoga, hiking, skiing, and traveling. Learning something new brings excitement to my life and sharing it with others gives me meaning.
I have worked with families, individuals, and groups in various settings since 1998. While living in Hawaii, I worked in in-patient services with individuals and families, clients in chemical dependency recovery centers, youth in the foster care system, and with group and individual therapeutic services with youth and adults with substance abuse problems (co-occurring). For four years, I have worked in community mental health in Seattle, serving families, children, adolescents, and adults in individual, family, and group sessions. I am also a cultural humility (competency) trainer, prevention group facilitator, and do group and individual wellness work. I am part of a Prevention Coalition called Prevention Works in North Seattle- Prevention WINS.
• Masters in Social Work, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
• Masters in Counseling Psychology, University of Hawaii at Hilo, Hilo, HI
• BA in Psychology, University of Hawaii at Hilo
• Substance Abuse and Addiction Study Certification, University of Hawaii West Oahu
• 200-hour Yoga Training at Rishikesh Yog Peeth, Swarg Ashram, India
I keep constantly updating and improving my professional skills. Below are some of the trainings and certifications I have received in the last years:
Radically Open Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (RODBT)
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) Training
Mindfulness and Meditation
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Plus (CBT Plus)
Moral Recognition Therapy (MRT)
Guiding Good Choices
• Licensed as Mental Health Therapist in the State of WA (license number MHC.LH. 60688130)
• Approved Supervisor in the State of WA
• Board Certified TeleMental Health Provider (certification number 909)
• CBT Plus Therapist (Provider Number # 1975255)
• State and National Certified Prevention Professional (Certification Number: 16-CPP-139)
• National Board of Certified Counselors (Certification Number: 802008)
• Certified Yoga Instructor (RYS Regd No: 046196/2009)